Saturday, August 30, 2008

Not for them to decide



The other day I had this scene pop into my head, and just the memory of it really moved me. I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to this speech as the deciding factor that makes "The Fellowship of the Ring" my favorite of the 'Rings' movies.
But that aside, Isn't it a really poignant speech? Touching on the the issue of mercy and pity, it really hits me in regards to when Gandalf says "Do not be be eager to deal out death and judgment, even the very wise cannot see all ends". How many times can we all testify to catching ourselves being exactly that... too eager to deal out judgment on others... the moral check in this speech is a powerful one I think... even when it comes from a wizard.

But the really hard hitting line is the one that defined the first film... and quickly became one of my favorite quotes of all time
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide, all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf then goes on to say that there are other forces in this world besides the will of evil... and continues on about destiny to a certain extent.
"And that is an encouraging thought"

I don't know, I'm not going to dissect the whole dialogue because I'm sure it means different things to different people.... But I just wanted to share that movie moment with everyone again, because the theme and message behind it hits me pretty hard.

3 comments:

Kristal Jem said...

Very cool post john...
I really liked that scene in the movie as well, such powerful words that make you think.

JmK said...

YES YES YES YES good things

JmK said...

"the pity of bilbo may rule the fate of men."

i am so impressed with jackson here. i cannot believe he caught on to the central theme of forgiveness (first bilbo's then frodo's over and over) leading to the destruction of evil, and yet he kept it subtle just like Tolkien. hmmmmmmmmm. so good.