Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Leaping Years

I can't tell if a year is in fact a long time....

I mean, I feel so tempted to say "only a year" becuase it seems like that doesn't it? It was only a year ago that _________, insert whatever you were up to this time last year.

Now when talking about it, it doesn't feel like that long, however when I try to remember it, it seems like so much longer than that.    Tricky.

I mean, a year is only really a few months, and we count down months like no tommorow, this many till birthday, this many till christmas, this many till summer or this many until that new CD comes out, nothing right?  only 4 weeks in a month, only 12 months in a year... 56 weeks really isn't that much...

And then at the same time... I mean... a whole year!! one year.  I only have about 20 of them in my entire life experience... less!! So really... one year is a large chunk of my life! One year can't be a trivial thing like "12 months" seems, 365 days? we breeze through those 7 at a time!!  But it is... it's a whole year, and we only have had so many.... remember how they used to seem so much longer? 

And to think.... For example, I'm looking forward to 'The Dark Knight' coming out... that is 107 days away from now, thats a few months... 4ish to be exact... thats about 1/3rd of a year.... a year, which I've only ever had 19.5 of...  WHY am I counting down the days for this!??! Why am I not stressing out about every second lost.... every day passing until yet another year has passed.... What was I doing that time last year?  What will I be doing one year this time!  How much happens in a year?  We'd like to think alot.. but in the grand scheme of things not as much.

I don't know, a year?  Really? wow.

6 comments:

Martini said...

I think you need to chill the **** out. That's what I think.

How can you say not a lot happens in a year? A lot happens in a day! SO many things happen in a day, it's just nuts! How many times have you taken a step or scratched somewhere on you body today alone? How many breaths have you taken? How many times have you smiled or chewed? It's mind boggling that blog of yours!

vanessa said...

I definitely stress about every lost second.

I like your blog.

Oh, and last year at this time we were just newly re-... What the hell is that word that we were? Re-entering? Returning? Oh I'm pissed. I can't think of the word. You know what I mean.

Sigh...

Anonymous said...

hi jon! IIII think your really chill.

time flies for sure, so a year definitely goes by fast. Maybe because we're always counting down the days until "bigger" events happen, it makes it seem like not as much is happening in a year, except those "bigger events", BUT, sooo much happens in a day OTHER than scratching and chewing. Baha

I think a lot happens in a year. We all know a lot happens in a day. However, i think even though at some points a year seems insignificant, without each year...there wouldnt be a "grandscheme". Each year creates a lifetime.

BUT i think the point you were making it right, we are going through these years really fast. Each day is precious, so we shouldnt rush through them so we can get to that "bigger event" even quicker.

Martini said...

Michelle you should know the solution to the equation! It's all psychoanalysis (that I'm learning in an English class, funny enough)
You are taking psychology still, right? Otherwise I'll look like a bit of an asshole here.

In life, we're constantly moving towards the "next big thing", which is really just a fabricated creation, because we'll never be satisfied. There will always be a next big thing to anticipate, even if it's subconsciously. It's nearly impossible to escape. But I agree that it is was contributes to what's making the years fly by.

Jonarkle said...

haha as if this blog has suddenly become some sort of message board!

SO, to those whome it may concern... (possibly mike, hello)

It really wasn't that deep.... all I was writing was a glorified version of "Boy, time flies eh?". Not an equation of some sort... defiantly not physchoanalysis or even counting down the hours or chews or days.

All i was saying is last year seems like it happened yesterday, despite the fact that there is so much time in between... why do we look past that time? should we stress about what we've passed.... nothing about subconscious anticipation for next big things.

hahah I think the point of the blog was missed,
Must have been lack of clarification on my part. Please accept my apology for that.

Sincerly
Jon Arkle

Anonymous said...

I always have you back Jon, here is a less deep comment.

Your math sucks...
4x12=48..not 56
and there are only 52 weeks in a year

Idiot...