Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Unproductive? Probably. Worth it? Definitely

Today was likely the most unproductive day I've had at UBCO haha, however at the same time it was a very very good day.

Began with an 8:00am 'Police and Society' class in which we were going to watch a documentary. It didn't work, technical difficulties, so instead we got back our Finals, which I am happy to say I did very well on. We got out early after that.

Instead of moving on to the library with my "crew", we decided to sit in the sun on a bench in the courtyard... then a classmate reminded me that my only other class of the day (save for a speaker at 4:00pm) had been cancelled, and so commenced a day long socializing event in the sun with my friends and colleagues that I have grown to love over these 2 years at that particular campus. A day very well spent if you ask me.
It also got me thinking about how, despite the stress, and despite the "I AM SO OVER IT" attitude that seems to come to everyone in the last few weeks of their degree, I am going to miss the student lifestyle, the atmosphere of the university, the intellectual stimulation and discussion, but perhaps mostly haha, I'm going to miss the social aspect that is university. Here's hoping I continue to constantly meet new people and don't get caught up in a "small social circle" mindset once I'm not in the beehive of activity that is the campus.

Also, sun means summer. Nice.
(Guest speaker that I listened to at 4 spoke on deviance and youth subculture, with a particular interest in the straight edge movements of punk subcultures in the 1980's-1990's, really really interesting. Kim and I brought Katie along for her first sociology class ever, last week on "Terror and use of fear in popular culture" I brought Jill, Kelly, Dave and Dylan. Awesome, Sociology is the best... maybe I should have double majored... more school atmosphere!?!? Nah.. maybe today's leisure was a "grand farewell" to all of this... ack, no Jon, don't get all mellow dramatic, blogs are no place for that!)

NEW THURSDAY CD COMING OUT! ACKAKJ IT'S GOING TO BE SO GOOD!!!
Listen to "Past and Future Ruin"... oh man. So great.

First bike ride of the year on Sunday too... wore me out, but it was really good. Good to get those muscles moving again, off season was too... off season I guess.

So that's awesome. Things are awesome. (SO PUMPED FOR NEW THURSDAY)

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sun? Bikes?

Today I spent over an hour sitting on a quad clearing the driveway from the foot of snow that showed up over night and I get to do it all over again tomorrow. Stupid Alberta April.

Also your social life definitely takes a hit post school...sorry. The only time I really do anything is when I go visit University folk. Granted, that could just be because I live in a tiny little town where I know no one and there is nothing to do...except plow the driveway.