Friday, March 04, 2011

The Cancer of Society

Negative Post! :D!!

I realise that I am definitely part of the problem, as I have been perpetuating it in the last couple of days with my fascination with this Charlie Sheen video....
However, the fascination that our society has with celebrities really does make me feel awful about what we have become.

The other day a friend of mine said, when finding out that I hadn't watched the Oscars he said "oh really? I thought you would have been all over that"

No... no, I really wouldn't be :(

I can't understand the self-worship that that culture has about itself... these people with influence should be using it change the world, and in a more harsh perspective, influence the lemmings that follow them to want to change the world as well. Some do this, and I recognize that, however I can't understand the fascination that the media, not just pop-culture media but even news media, has on these people.

As of this writing, the current playcount for Justyn Beebir's "Oh baby" video is 479,180,276... Four Hundred and Seventy Nine Million unique visits.

This video only has 264,124 views...


What makes news? What makes headlines? Not what people should be aware of... Charlie Sheen being off/on/off and on drugs/tigerblood is though.

Oh well... I was talking about it, so I'm part of the problem I guess.
I need to get ready for graveyard, but I wanted to rant. I'll likely speak on this subject again though... It's been on my mind a lot recently. Anger at the apathy held by the west to not only injustices in our own system, but even more significant around the world.

hmm...

Goodnight!


(Also, I'm currently 0/15)



2 comments:

Mike said...

Good call bud. The other day Bieber getting a haircut made Globe and Mail mobile's top news headlines right beside the turmoil in Libya. Then they felt the need to issue a news update saying he had lost 80,000 twitter fans post lid snip.

Needless to say I was so disturbed by it all I immediately tweeted and facebooked about how annoying it was using powerful phrases like "OMG"and "lol" before rushing out to get my own Biebs 2011 brain bucket.

vanessa said...

I loved how you spelled Bieber's name wrong on purpose. Good demonstration of your lack of interest in pop culture.

I do agree with you, though it has not been on my mind as of late. I do think it's good to read materials such as your own on a regular basis to put things into perspective. Thanks for that, friend.