Saturday, March 12, 2011

Wolf pup

I'm ashamed that I consistently want to write about something, but as soon as I open blogger it all disappears from my mind. Such is life I guess, but I'll try to scrape together what I hoped to rant about...

The new Rise Against album has incredibly poignant lyrics, and I would recommend it to anybody who has a particular affinity for punk music.

As I worked through my graveyard shift last night I went through a complete flurry of emotions. The shift is an interesting one as it is 8 hours beginning at midnight, but the majority of it is working alone. As a result, this lonesome time with my own thoughts mixed with the increasing tiredness in those ensuing hours creates a cocktail of thoughts that is sometimes dangerous in that they will be right the way across the spectrum. I've never been so inspired, so happy, so angry, and so depressed as I have been during a graveyard shift.
Anyways, last night was focused a lot on faith (oh no.. another one of these posts? YOU BET), this is naturally an ever going battle seeing as I'm constantly immersed in the atheistic push that is a philosophy degree in the academic circles. Apologetics has always been not only a passion, but something that I feel to be almost necessary... but last night wasn't so broad of a thought. Instead, it was more shame towards the way that those under the banner of Christianity treat their fellow humans... close-minded, open-mouthed... I can't relate, I hope I never can. I'm a broken record on this blog, I recognize that, but I hope that I can be an example without being a hatemonger, I hope that I can demonstrate love without it appearing like I'm just seeking an "eternal reward", altruistic means for a selfish end, I hope that I can show, and continuously demonstrate, that my life has a genuine focus and compassion that is a bit different than the masses hopefully... hopefully, but God knows that I fall so far form this every single day.

Regardless, I caught myself in a place where amongst my internal stewing I was feeling apathetic about gathering at one of my two churches as I was struck with an (unjustified) feeling of disconnectedness with my immediate fellow Christian brethren, to a point where I was feeling aggressive towards nobody but everybody because I am so unwilling to neglect fellow humans of the respect and rights they deserve, as so many people walking under the banner I claim to so eagerly do... damning humans based on their own misunderstandings of the nature of our species (It was 4am...)
Thankfully I was able to catch myself, slap myself into a much calmer place, and then went on a little blast from memory past to Australia and particular events and important (and level headed) people there, which was good to sooth my stewing for the time being...
I was thinking about you Jordan and Vanessa. Thank you! I appreciate you.

I feel this blog comes across as preachy too often... Expect some fluffy filler posts for the next little while to stir stagnant waters.

On more interesting notes, this came into the pool the other day, it's a wolf! 98% said the owner. It is also my new favorite thing in the world... this week, until something else remotely distracts me.


Also, the tragedy of the Japanese earthquake is awful, naturally (no pun intended). The footage is dramatic, and obviously the devastation is remarkable... however, it is worth noting that had Japan not had such strict building regulations that it has, the devastation could be much worse. So lets be thankful for that. Praise the effectiveness of preparation.

And finally... (not making fun, bear with me...) CNN could have come up with a better description I feel... I can't help but think that a marquee writer with a wicked sense of humour is responsible. The tragedy is awful, but this headline is incredibly ironic.


Also on my graveyard shift were long conversations during breaks about UFO's and Wendigos. I'll write about that next time... I would have written about that now.. but it's nighttime and it scares me.

2 comments:

vanessa said...

This almost brought me to tears. I miss you, dear friend.

You had me hanging on every word in this post. It was captivating, good job.

Be well, xo.

tori said...

Great blog, Jonathan.