Saturday, July 21, 2007

Survival Tip.

Well, here it is, some much awaited advice on how to survive in the hot summer.

Don't run across the road in front of cars.

Let me explain.

I'm on my way home on a balmy July afternoon after completing a full day of work. Whilst driving up my road I am suddenly shocked to see a little brown ball of feathers dart out in front of my car, not even 1 foot away from my tires. I see feathers fly everywhere (literally... it was almost funny how many feathers there seemed to be), and then a little body in the rear view mirror crumpled in a ball in the middle of the road. My very first roadkill. (If my memory serves me correctly... which means, it could just be the first one in the past week...)

Nonetheless, I feel bad. I've always wondered when one of these suicidal birds we call "Quails" would do just this, make a dart in front of the car when there is no possible chance of survival. Usually they are SLIGHTLY smarted than starting to run a foot away from a moving vehicle, but I guess this one was just unlucky... or didn't have a very acute sense of logic, timing, or depth perception.
I back up the tank back so that the little...fat bird was now in front of me.. when all of a sudden this thing starts to kind of flail around!
"Oh no... I've broken it's neck or something" So I get out of the car and go to pick it up. I was wearing my work gloves, so I wasn't touching some bloody mangled corpse, actually even if I hadn't been wearing my gloves, there was no blood on the bird. It's neck seemed crooked though... kind of in the same way that you see a bird that has just hit a window. I pick this quail up and realise... it's still alive. I'm going to look after it.
So I got back in the car with the bird cradled in my hand, and I drive home. I then sit on my lawn with it while it slowly recoups, and watch it as it goes from "dazed.... to frightened... to calmer... to falling asleep?".
This attention I was giving this bird made my dog very jealous, as he would actually nuzzle his nose under my arm when i was petting the bird, to try to make me pay attention to him. He would shoot dirty looks at the quail before pawing at me to pay attention. aw.





Anyways, the Bird looked like it had eyelashes, so I decided I'm going to refer to her as a she. I named her Susan because that was the first name that came to my head (??) and when she finally seemed to have enough consciousness, i drove back down my road to where I had hit her, and put her back in the bushes on the side of the road from whence she came. She wasn't moving much... she just sat, but I'm sure thats becuase she was still terrified. By this time she was chirping and her chest looked like it was constantly vibrating becuase of her heartbeat. The only place she was obviously hurt was one of her toes which was slightly bleeding, that and lots of feathers still lose.


Spin the wheel of morality.

Today's moral is, don't run out in front of cars, especially on my road, becuase you might not be as lucky as Susan the Quail was.


The End.

3 comments:

Martini said...

i think you should send that to disney. tender.

honestly, that story made me laugh a little, and smile. I was sad at first. It was cute though.

Anonymous said...

hahah
remember the bird we tried to save and then it died in your hands?
then we buried it.

im glad you didnt have to bury susan the quail.

vanessa said...

So... I now live sans computer. I just realized this morning that I DO have one at work... thus bringing to my attention that my blogging career does not have to be cut short... nor does my blog READING career. I just spent the last half hour of my paid day reading your blogs that I have missed. Present tense - I MISS YOU.