Thursday, September 06, 2007

avoid eye contact

Have you ever noticed the great lengths that strangers will go through, just to avoid making eye contact with someone walking towards them on the sidewalk?

Here's the scene.... a lonely sidewalk, two pedestrians (both human beings, both presumably able to speak) walking in opposite directions, towards each other. As the space between shortens, the awkwardness sets in.... neither speaks, and both frantically try to figure out how to pass the other... now if one is wearing sunglasses, this makes it much easier becuase you can do the "look past", otherwise some opt to do the "look away" some do the "quick eye contact, then look forward" and the little gem that I got the other day was someone who turned their head in the complete opposite direction.. towards a wall! Is someone walking towards you THAT intimidating?

None the less, I'm in College now, and it's school. There is too much, but not enough time in between my classes, so I'm trying to figure out how I should pass the time tomorrow. Philosophy is going to be an amazing class from first impressions, and I hope I'm right.... but I'm afraid the Prof might not like my arguments if I come to a topic such as "the existence of God" (term one). We'll see.

Macbook pro coming in the mail.... soon! ooh boy

I guess this week was the week that Steve Irwin passed away last year, so the discovery channel has been doing Croc. hunter specials. It's making me miss Australia a surprising amount.

I don't know what else to write about. Life is fun, confusing and sometimes I don't do it right, BUT it's fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how convenient...i was just on my way to post a comment along the lines of "way to update your blog jon" and to my suprise it was updated...who knew

hope schools going well for you bud, talk soon and tell me about it

miss you love you dude

Martini said...

I usually creep people out by giving them a full on smile as I walk past. But that's just the way I am. You get used to it in University/College. That, or if I'm listening to music, I'm usually in my own world anyway so I don't have to worry about looking/being awkward. Heaven knows I don't do awkward anyway.

lurve you and miss you as always. Can't wait to chat on skype soon. take care.

-Amanda

vanessa said...

Oh Mike (Yeah, we're on first name basis... we go way back). I was about to do the EXACT same thing.

But really Jon, I miss you horrendously. The other day I was thinking about Vanuatu and almost emited a tear, but then I remembered how sweaty and sick I was and sucked it back in. Regardless, I wish you would blog more because I like you and I miss you and I like to hear about your life. The end.

JmK said...

hi. i read your blog. i enjoy it. i miss you. grats on the new computer.