Saturday, January 29, 2011

This still has a picture and songs.

Ahhh hypocrisy.

I was speaking to a dear friend the other day who was discussing how they feel they have been betrayed by another friend of theirs hypocrisy. Specifically in regards to the demand for respect from others, but without supplying it on their own.

I think that's what upsets me the most about human interaction.. is the lack of respect. Now, on the note of hypocrisy, I want to clearly state the disclaimer that I definitely fall under this description as well. My own shortcomings in this regard (specifically in the name of "humour") will often leave me feeling guilty for the way I've treated another human being, and it's something that I cannot understand.

I've been called a "people-pleaser" (in a very loving way mind you, not as an insult) due to my sometimes ridiculous and self defeating measures taken to make sure that I don't upset or let anyone down... and while, yes, sometimes this results in my own plans not coming to fulfillment, I still can't bring myself to see it as a bad thing... or even a foolish thing.

It seems to me, as I've 'blogged' about in the past, that if there is any HUGE question worth worrying about in this world, that's worth dedicating all focus on, (philosophically or in any other discipline), it's not "how much can we know/how far can we push", it's not "is there a God/a purpose in life", and it's definitely not "What is my next step?" but rather "how ought I treat others... how ought I act?". To me this question transcends all disciplines, and schools of thought. All religions or lackthereof, all ethics and actions.

Now, don't get me wrong... I too often get caught up in my own endless pondering of all of the aforementioned questions, but in the end it seems to me that the only important one is the final point. How ought we treat each other?
It's all well and good to increase our human knowledge, and by no means do I intend to undervalue research in any field, but this rant comes from a purely relational perspective. In regards to how we interact with each other on a day to day basis.
Similarly, I don't mean to belittle more metaphysical questions, or those of faith either. In the end of all things, perhaps there is an afterlife, perhaps not. I know I have my stance on the matter, but in the end I believe that should really be seen as irrelevant. Life should not be seen as a "means-end" relationship, but rather lived based on what is applicable immediately... and on what we can control here and now. (I mean... isn't this what matters on the basis of even Christianity?)

That being said, what can we control here and now? Our relationships. Our interactions. That's what really matters, that's all that matters! So why oh why do people focus on their own immediate interests versus those of those around them.
Again, this blog is becoming a bit of a bore, I admit. If I'm not giving nonsensical, uneventful updates on "there is a cat in my house" or the like, I am ranting about idealistic selflessness, and how I see martyrdom as the highest possible virtue... but bear with me, at least it's something personal not just a photo and a song...

Anyways, I don't have some great lesson... some final thought or even conclusion, but rather this is just a way for me to voice some frustration when people (who I looked up to), let me down in this way when I hear about actions such as this... I don't have the answers, but I can only hope that "love" rings through whatever answers there are.

Stop putting yourself first... it's not becoming of you.
I'll try to do the same. (Surrre you will y'hipocrite)


This painting is by my favorite artist called "To a Better Life". Sometime I hope to have a piece of his in my home. Someday.

(oh also... "Anonymous" if you are a regular reader at all... or at least regular enough to have read the last post and this one, you didn't give me much to work with. Your hint could be anything from a genuine religious enthusiasm to an ironic jest from one of my many skeptic friends... or perhaps you are someone who overheard that soapbox evangelist who announced "Jesus' Love" to the entire UBCO Library last week... so I'm afraid I have no idea who you are... sorry... But hey, thanks for reading my blog! I'm pretty pumped about the viewership. My "user dashboard" gives me stats about visitors to my page, showing how many visit the blog gets per day, from what country, and either a couple people worldwide check over and over, or I have quite a few regular readers, Mostly Canadian or American, but even some from Germany. Pretty cool. Don't worry, I don't know WHO you are... I wish I did, but I don't have that information. I do know what country you are from though... oh also, whether you use internet explorer or firefox (or safari for some of you). Pretty cool... betcha didn't know I knew about you when you don't comment... well, I don't really know about you when you DO comment with all these "anonymous" folk popping up... oh well)

Hard Song.

Soft Song

Take your pick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely post,thank you sir!

Tonybot said...

Should we respect the fact that we're all hypocrites with plenty of room to err? Not rhetorical. I'm far too impatient to be a good Christian.

Anonymous said...

This is the real anonymous. I'm upset my hint didn't give it away. Here is the second clue: When I first met you and the weeks after, I never talked to you. As the weeks kept going, I started talking to you. And now we are friends.

kingkoopa said...

Thanks for posting on my blog Jonny Boy. ps i luv u